Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Forgotten 40 Day 1-20

My first 40 day journey of new music is in the books, catch up at 1-20 or 21-40, next up Forgotten Favorites as defined here.   So let's kick it off.

1) Idle Hands by Ryan Fitzsimmons, Boy the devil loves idle hands, so I'm making sure I use them to tell you about some great music.  Ryan a east coast native has been touring for about ten years, I'd love to hear him some day, and I forgot how much energy this song has... it it's a story that kicks some crime scene.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/idle-hands/id160251139?i=160251175

2) Dreams by Abbie Gardner,  This fine dobro player is part of Red Molly, released this fine song in 2006 on a cd Honey on my Grave also has one my other favorite songs Caffeine.  I do need to have more Abbie in my collection, I guess that's why I'm mining these forgotten favorites... sometimes I forget I love more than just the song, the artist and the woman deserves some attention.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/dreams/id156345016?i=156345119

3) 1952 Vincent Black Lightning by Beth Wood,  Yes given the 126 songs I have to pick from there will be good friends in the list.  Beth is the first one, and this is one of the songs that convinced me to book her the first time to our House Concert series.  This Richard Thompson song was first in my head by Greg Brown, but since I've listened to Richard and even watched him live on Austin City Limits doing the song.  Beth's voice on her smooth guitar playing keeps this as one of my favorite versions.  I highly recommend both the song and seeing Beth live.  Go get the song at : https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/1952-vincent-black-lightning/id250689959?i=250689980

4) Old Pine by Ben Howard Looks like Ben got in my place list after I heard him in Paste magazine back in 2011.  Typically if I get a free song I like, (Three Tree Town) I have a habit of going and buying a song.  This is the song I purchased and it is especially is worthy for any one to discover him.  Starts with a clean interesting acoustic guitar piece, but moves to a tenor like Josh Ritter, and the writing is very full of imagery. I should probably have more of him in my collection. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/old-pine/id467632453?i=467632462

5) Tonight an Angel Fell by Chuck Allen Floyd.  On Easter Sunday it's appropriate to have my utmost favorite angel tune.  I believe this snuck into the under forty plays only because I had to refresh my iTunes library since I got this song in 2008.  It's a classic country song, and why it isn't covered over and over is beyond me.  "She makes me feel like Heaven, here in the honky tonk bar... " Chuck is a talented songwriter https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tonight-an-angel-fell/id277394544?i=277394586

6) All the Pretty Horse by Calexico, this haunting folk song is one I ran across one day, and it quickly became one I would exclaim as one of the best. It's from a 2006 recording, and while I have a few Calexico pieces in the library...this reminds me I should have more.  Their music challenges me to grow in my own arrangements.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/all-the-pretty-horses/id197411786?i=197412092

7) Tractor by Drew Nelson, When I saw I had a couple of Drew's songs on my list of favorites under 40 plays, I knew he would make the list maybe twice... before and after he played our house concert series.  First up Tractor... if I'd be a John Deere and plow the field of your heart... truly this is a great piece of songwriting and fine guitar playing too. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tractor/id98789829?i=98789149

No comments:

Post a Comment