Sunday, April 13, 2014

40 days of music - Day 20 - 40

Thank you all the artists an others that have browsed, listened, or maybe even bought some of the music from day 1-20  It looks like iTunes no longer supports publishing playlists, but I'll look into it.  All I can tell you is that it has been my favorite mix to have on in the background or when I'm writing this BLOG, ha.  And oh the artist and connections.  20 left me at Natalie Gelman before we saw her live; what a treat, and I'm looking forward to seeing her again in the future, maybe even book her.

20) Hello Sunshine - Ethan Johns. This song is first because he was in Noisetrade described that fans of Richard Thompson, Tom Waits, and JJ Cale would like him.  Well after I picked up those songs, I went to iTunes and found this wonderful song that has a little mixed "Sunshine" feel, but boy is it great fit to my recent re-kindling love of Leonard Cohen. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hello-sunshine/id673235587?i=673235727

21) Ockham's Razor - Mayday Radio feat. Natalie Gelman.  Ok so I bought everything Natalie had live, but iTunes sent me to a song she sang a duet on with Mayday Radio.  Good enough reason to discover a songwriter with a rebel cause.  Well I'll be learning more about him, looks very interesting.  Another reason you should all reach out to all those strings of connections, the web is wide and we are so lucky when it comes to accessibility of music.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ockhams-razor-feat.-natalie/id572942676?i=572942687

22) On Your Own - Just Mammals.  Like I said at the beginning this journey has made for such an interesting background to life recently and I was grooving to Light over the Bridge by Pawns and Kings, so much I thought the next song would have a connection to it.  I found it was also in the IndieVidual CD on iTunes.  Cruised the songs and loved the way these guys had a throwback to 60's harmonies.  And their Happy Acoustic is pretty cool too.  Another British band with 4 lads. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/on-your-own/id605057923?i=605057967

23) Running Through my Head - Simone Felice.  I was looking to see if iTunes had taken out people publishing iMixes to the masses, and ran into a section where they were they had FREE music, and while the preview sample was the last part of the song, I took a flyer on it.  What a wonderful find, I need to hear more of this artist.  The song does talk to me, too many times I have a face running through my head, I'm a such a sucker for a romantic song.  I think the song would have been better without the drum track, but it's sure to get many of plays, so I must need to pay him (yes Simone in this case is a guy) back and buy a few other songs. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/running-through-my-head/id821749903?i=821749918

24) This too shall pass - Danny Schmidt.  I was first looking for an artist like Danny (a modern equivalent to Cohen living in Austin Tx), but when I searched him in iTunes this song came up, and I didn't own it.  So it's legit, and should we have a Biblically sounding song slipped into a 40 day journey from a spirit who doesn't claim a religion but I as a Christian expect to see him in heaven if my vision is right, and if his is we're enjoying it so why not enjoy some of the best DAMN songwriting you will listen to. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/this-too-shall-pass/id84227401?i=84227355

25) Whisky Priest - Dustin Welch.  Staying in Austin after Danny, but not because of him but because Dustin was pictured next my recent most favorite woman fiddler, Phoebe Hunt.  My comment on Phoebe's picture posted from her SXSW Fuel our Fire concert was, "Dustin's a lucky dog, got to check his music out..."  So I did.  Love how Dustin's website described the 2012 release, AUSTIN, Texas — Building on the thrilling strengths of his fearsomely original 2010 debut, Whisky Priest (which LoneStarMusic magazine deemed “one of the most compelling albums to come out of Texas in the past year”), Austin-based singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Dustin Welch is set to release his second album, Tijuana Bible, on Feb. 12 via his own Super Rooster Records" Here is a link to the title track that I started with: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/whisky-priest/id309457120?i=309457127

26) Heart of Gold - The Dedringers This post might ultimately that good songs last longer than the bands that sing them.  I went to the Dustin Welch post and iTunes said other people buying this song have bought Heart of Gold...Thinking it was a Young cover, I quickly liked the snipet and said yes... let's buy this and explore it.  Well they no longer exist, and maybe the band members will be future posts.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/heart-of-gold/id290957073?i=290957162

27) In the Back of a Pickup Truck - Kate Lynn Logan.  Boy I screwed up... maybe I got sucked into my life work, personal, or daydreams, but I did miss that this song was supposed to be number 20; and I love it.  Give me a pickup song any, and I now forget how I ran into this song... shoot.  I will and I and will make it up to her.  Suffice to say I think I'm on her mailing list and this song is a pre-release and it's wonderful country groove.  I have a reservation for the next pick up...go for it and check out this great song.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/little-white-truck-feat.-andrew/id811292029?i=811292089

28) Kapuskasing Coffee - Justin Rutledge - Ok, I've been delinquent in posting, but I did buy this song two days ago and now I forget why, but it so good.  I know I will be buying more of this guy.  This sound also has such a beautiful female harmony and by his web notes I'm guessing it's Carina Round.  He's a Juno winning singer songwriter artist, so in essence Canadian... now wonder I like him... HA. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/kapuskasing-coffee/id594017595?i=594017924

29) Keep it Alive - Matthew Barber - Ok this is not the first time I used iTunes Genius to recommend the next song, call it lazy but it's not like I take the first one and stop.  HA.  While I finding the link for number 28 I thought I would click on "others have also bought"... this smooth encouraging tidbit of sailing has a soul refreshing organ accent to a wonderful vocalist.  Sure enough, ANOTHER Canadian; I should just move there, but as I'm in Wisconsin I'm pretty close anyway.  This song is from his 2011 recording and he has more for me to explore. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/keep-it-alive/id435821966?i=435822051

30) Looking for a Kiss - Suzie Vinnick - Ok this is the last one from a Justin Rutledge "others bought" because guess what Hat Trick from Canadian.  This song caught me in it's little preview having all the ingredients for a song that I'll love.  Nice harmonica, a touch of accordion, a kind of a bluesy, and oh the right lyrics.  Any time a lady wants a kiss from me, they have my attention.  I can see this song showing up in our tear down set mix, because it's got that "Closing time" verse in it too.  She's sure to become another favorite, this song is actually now five years old.  Dang I love this journey so far.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/looking-for-a-kiss/id303624010?i=303624049

31) Give Me a Chance - Parousia - Being Sunday and home from Church, I noted that Drew Nelson had shared a video of three sisters breathing new life into an old hymn, I was wow'd and have shared it within this blog HERE.  Of course I knew they needed to be in the 40 day journey; but oh what gem to pick.  They have two CDs in iTunes, and I choose an original song that has a beautiful banjo picking.  A perfect one for a calm day.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/give-me-a-chance/id478948716?i=478948729

32) The Dirty ol Tractor Song - Little Miss Higgins. Of course you will have to read more about Miss Higgins at this blog post, suffice to say she's another breath of fresh air from Canada.  I should think about moving there already.  After a day of listening to her videos, I bought a song I hadn't heard yet, it has that fun storytelling again.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-dirty-ol-tractor-song/id267791030?i=267791205

33) Hard Line - Jill Barber.  Oh my I can quickly get infatuated with an artist, and I quickly I fell for Jill  and have bought a strong signature song from her current Jazz groove, Oh My My... (which is also posted in the blog), but I choose Hard Line (same blog post for video) over my other choice Goodnight Sweetheart because I will keeping this iMix on my iPhone for awhile and I like the upbeat nature of this 2009 release, down to the clapping type of percussion, oohs in the chorus background, and the nice mandolin groove.  Maybe it was the line, "today I met a new love..." kind of like I do every other day. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hard-line/id322058428?i=322058455

34) Break up the band - Jed Zimmerman- So last night I was bouncing around iTunes with this wided eyed big head idea that I am down to 7 artist to add to the 40 day list, don't screw it up, and find someone cool... maybe one that not everyone knows, but who has legitimacy that iTunes thinks I should know him.  Truly I won't say who I was close on but said no, now, Break up the Band... a great fiddle, a story of musicians... I should be in and I AM... but then tonight trying to find out more about Jed, I was convinced I would change to The Weatherman, with the John Prine reference.. truly I need buy a lot of this story teller, may invite him to play my house concert in WI.  Suffice to say I'm staying with my first choice.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/break-up-the-band/id691182360?i=691183143

35) Little Black Star - Hurray for the Riff Raff When someone recommended this group to me, how was I to know how good they are and have been together since 2007; and of course when I checked them out, I knew they were going to hit the 40 day list with the first real cajun flair.  Such versatility and energy; look them up they are outstanding with passion vocalist in Alynda Lee Segerra. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/little-black-star/id516432948?i=516433071

36) This never happened, and I was never here - Shannon McNally  I loved this song's story and instrumentation.  This wasn't the song that attracted me to Shannon's music, again it as I was bouncing around in the iTunes "Also bought"  She's a fresh voice and I'm intrigued by her recent record with Dr. John, Derek Trucks, Vince Gill, and Luther Dickinson.  If she isn't good, she must be a nice person to hang with... HA.  I think the both are probably true.  The song I picked is from 2012 ep release that didn't even show up in her Wikipedia.  So go taste a song or two: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/this-never-happened-i-was/id509519480?i=509519569

37) Pretty Girls - Erik Koskinen Ok if I didn't have the discipline to change the rules Erik would be 37, 38, 39, & 40.  I had the chance to see Erik for the first time at my favorite coffeehouse, The Root Note, with Barbara Jean.  (It is interesting that in this journey three concerts at the Root Note have lead to song selections and new favorites and friends.) Too many times we like fall into classifying artists as other artists, so let me fall into that trap again... he's James McMurtry, Mark Knopfler and Raldo Schneider rolled into one artist.  The song I picked has to one a pick because I kind of live by that mantra and write that way in this blog.  While I have a good woman for over 30 years, I fall in love Pretty Girls everywhere.  For those keeping track, Devil's Blues, Detroit Detroit, and Six Pack would be the rest of the songs.  Look this guy up and definitely see him live if you have a chance.  Ok I'm giving you the iTunes link but I bought both CD's again: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/pretty-girls/id386980930?i=386980951

38) Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Jack Johnson.  Since Jack doesn't need much of a shout out, let's look at why I put this in the list.  Rose River is a cover band I play with and Tim, Paula, Shelly do great harmonies, and make me sound a lot better when I sing.  We're always looking for unique songs that fit us, and you have to admit, entertain us.  We just did a 4 1/2 hour gig last night following it with a 4 hour one tonight.  Got to love the stuff you play.  Tim found this in Sirius Coffeehouse, and immediately thought of us.  Now we might use the original words, but a two chord song with maybe Tim on the accordion has some hope.  Now some might be offended.  I found a pirate rip off video also on YouTube with the song and these comments: what is wrong with all of you , this version is brutal!!!!!..The start of it sounds like somebody I use to know, and the rest sounds like Barney?!!!!...really?why try to remake perfection??..... Got to love people and why does YouTube allow rip offs like that I refuse to post them on the blog... Oh well, I've always kind of hated this song, but now I own it and sure to play it a bunch of times: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/escape-the-pina-colada-song/id776155469?i=776155482

39) Sparrow - Kelley McRae.  Kelley is not new to the blog and this song is documented in another post, but let me tell you the lyrics "Road I travel was cleared by a fool, and thief and charmer wrote the rules" and "Like a whore who will sell it cheap, but a girl's got to eat."... oh my she knows how to write:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sparrow/id287913806?i=287913811

40) Bright Lights - Rackhouse Pilfer. Just when I wondered who would be number 40, my buddy from my hometown shared with me a video of this song and said it was his new crush... Well done Rick.  A new Irish band that's playing "Americana Bluegrass"... we'll let you defect and you can Irish Americans playing Americana like the rest of us... HA.  They have a great sound, harmonies, and at least the studio doesn't just sound like a party... some serious stuff here.  I'm glad they made the list; and what a journey it has been.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bright-lights/id836094329?i=836094391

I'm sure to have a recap what songs have truly had the most plays, and stuck with the most friendships... I'll start up my next 40 day journey soon... maybe on a Wednesday again.

No comments:

Post a Comment