The bible Old and New chapters have these continuities, 3 days, 7 days and 40 days. Well as we as Christians are asked to reflect on our journey of faith and life over the next 40 days; I thought why not force me to find a new song (likely a new artist too) each day. I'll tweet it, and you can follow me at https://twitter.com/davezeman but I'll keep updating this post until we rejoice that we've passed money to Musicians. Yes.. I can't cheat and use a song I own already... and if I miss a day, I'll make up for it.
Just a song.. well who knows... let's hope someone grabs me by the inner soul and shakes me to buy the whole CD, but it will be just allowed for one day.
1) Doomsday - The Old Souls, wonderful harmonica drew me to the song, and storyline goes on for 6 minutes and keeps you interested. Interesting little group I came across because iTunes recommended it through past purchases. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/doomsday/id635998446?i=635999388
2) Royal - Lorde, Because of a twitter post by Heather Burian, a fine young TV reporter in the area, I saw Bruce Springsteen cover the song. Figured I should actually hear the song, (note to reader that this blog writer covers obscure mostly and didn't know the Grammy winning song), and of course I'm learning it Bruce style. Future video, I'm sure. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/royals/id703590196?i=703590283- update yes there is a video.
3) I will remain - Matthew and the Atlas. I follow a twitter account for For Folk's Sake and told them I would find an artist from their site for day three, and boy it was easy, the picture and write up had me in iTunes listening. I love this new song has a vocal qualities many like from Mumford and Sons, but it has a more delicate mix. I'm sure to be buying more of their music. Funny iTunes calls it Pop music, if that's case Pop music has come back to stuff I can like. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/i-will-remain/id361885335?i=361885344
4) Light over the Ridge - Pawn or Kings. I really liked Matthew and the Atlas and did what I normally do with a new artist, check if they have a Noisetrade mix to discover more music and get on their mailing list. They aren't there, but Pawn or Kings had a pretty unique live set. They had me and went back to iTunes and bought the fourth new song. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/light-over-the-ridge/id605057923?i=605058109
5) Grey White December - I am Snow Angel. I ended up blogging about this unique video that accompanies this song. Funny wonder what came first the song or the name of the group; they fit each other so well. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/grey-white-december/id796767577?i=796767593
6) Best day of my Life - American Authors. What a fun song and yes maybe 2014 next big hit, but it's also pretty easy to play along with going back and forth between G & D. I'll have to ask the band if they want to cover it, and learn that cool banjo part that begins the song. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/best-day-of-my-life/id806472660?i=806472664
7) Little Blue Bird - Grace Pettis. Grace is not a stranger to me, and when I heard we're close to bringing her to the Great River Folk Fest, I thought I should get more music of hers in the library. This sound is a wonderful song for singers trying to make a living. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/little-blue-bird/id556666541?i=556666546
8) Evelyn - Andrew Duhon, Super intrigued when I found an iTunes compilation Bands under the Radar, Americana for Hipsters. I bounced around a few artists and the description in American Songwriter got me to look deeper, "Andrew Duhon’s self-released new album The Moorings earned a Grammy nomination for Best Production, and it’s easy to see why. It’s a brilliant sounding record, sparkling with fresh folk-rock arrangements and gorgeous melodies that linger long after the album’s finished spinning." I am pretty sure I'll be buying more of him in the future. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/evelyn/id744147194?i=744147458
9) Never Meant to Love you - Cory Chisel. Looking into this fine new artist raised in Minnesota by a preacher who sheltered him from pop music and gave him a great influx of Hymns and Johnny Cash. We're going to see him this summer with Todd Snider at the Big Top in Bayfield so I thought I should get some of his music. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/never-meant-to-love-you/id528836394?i=528836490
10) Fireside Chat - Garnet Rogers. Of course when you go see someone live, buy his CD, and during this 40 day journey a song from it has to make the list. Now I'm tempted not to tell Garnet about this selection because he is not keen on this new format of selecting songs from CDs. About the song I picked to feature, it's Garnet's song that has been affectionally called, "Welcome to Hell" , it's a great politically charged recap of the last few years. The whole CD is wonderfully acoustic, with a couple covers, and song written for Bill Morrissey. Since he's not keen on the iTunes format the CD is available only at his website : http://garnetrogers.com/site/?page_id=617
11) Canadee-I-O - Nic Jones. Garnet played this song, and for some reason I did not have it in my iTunes music library. Must have had it once before... such a good song from and absolutely wonderful guitar player. As far as the linked site says, he's no longer touring, but maybe buying his song will still influence you, https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/canadee-i-o/id206449820?i=206449830
12) Give me back my hometown - Eric Church, A 40 day venture allows for influence thru suggestion. Since I don't listen to the radio much, I could have not told you that Eric is the new outlaw country on the block since 2011. A friend, Kelly Gardner, who is raising money for Gman, had posted she loves to drive listening to Eric. Well I'm a sucker for hometown ballads, thus Eric made the list. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/give-me-back-my-hometown/id734131749?i=734131762
13) Tales of the American West- Maxwell Hughes. So today found me without a plan, and Maxwell Hughes started following me on Twitter, so give him a chance. He does live in the same city as SHEL does, Fort Collins; and a former guitarist for the Lumineers. He records wonderful instrumental music, and while I play a lot of that myself, I rarely buy it. Today's selection is nice use of bass lines runs thus I was attracted to it. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tales-of-the-american-west/id703132562?i=703132681
14) Honey, Stay Awhile - The Rosewood Thieves. Tonight I trusted the first page of iTunes and Genius to take me to a 2007 cd by a band that I'm not sure exists anymore. What a sultry ballad... I might go back and buy more, but I'll have to research more. For now I'll just enjoy. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/honey-stay-awhile/id266096988?i=266097047
15) 18 years old - The Friel Sisters. As luck would have it, I was listening to the mix of the 14 songs above it and said, needs more women. I said the next woman band in my facebook timeline will get most favored attention. What a wonderful chance I had... some reason I had like this women and never bought anything of theirs yet. Great harmonies and musicianship; prefect yet for my list did not include truly an Irish song yet. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/song-18-years-old-feat.-gearoid/id789927058?i=789927075
16) Body of Work - The Mynabirds. Love the world sound that this song from the indie pop group led by Laura Burhenn. The song comes from 2012 released record that was received with universal acclaim. No wonder I didn't hear about it until today. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/body-of-work/id523197491?i=523197499
17) Bravedancing - Rachael Sage. The other day Noisetrade sent me an email with a free Songwriting tips, in it were five writers. I thought I would take on some of their songs in my project. First up Rachael, beautiful... a little more pop than I normally listen to, but it's a finely crafted song. Looking forward to learning a few things. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bravedancing/id137904623?i=137904980
18) Little White Truck - Kate Lynne Logan. When you're in the car and let random play go, you here songs you've had for a while but haven't listened to enough. I had to stop several times and look who the artist was, and once was for Kate's song River & Rain. What a wonderful song, I knew I needed to buy some more. Little White Truck is a fun "Back of a pickup truck" song... sure to put a smile on your face and bounce in your step.
19) Moving - John Fullbright. We have been discussing John being our Saturday night closer at the Great River Folk Fest, and while I've caught a few glimpses of videos, I have never bought or seriously listened a lot to John. I'm confident in the recommendation, and I kind of figured that I wanted it to be a pleasant surprise. Thought I'd make him a selection and start getting hooked. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/moving/id517785258?i=517785482
20) Most the While - Natalie Gelman Ok so I'm a sucker for pretty lady and a guitar... of course I stay a while longer when they have killer passion in their voice. You can read more why Natalie made the list in this other post. Suffice to say, that this song does go down easy. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/most-the-while/id632129068?i=632129742
Hey... 20 songs in one blog is enough... I'll start another one tomorrow.