Sunday, December 1, 2013

Introducing Sterling Waite & the Cotton Avenue Hustlers

Many of my readers know that I've discovered many artists using Noisetrade.com and I highly recommend that you search any artist that you like, and then try some of their Fans of ___ should like:

That's what happened when trying to learn more about Ryan Bingham, he wasn't on there but I thought I'd try Sterling Waite & the Cotton Avenue Hustlers and was impressed.  As I'm writing this blog, I see they have two CDs available on Noisetrade, I'll need to go get Fire in the Mountains after I give Rose Hill enough listens.  This is how their Facebook site describes them:

Songs about running, drinking beer, automotive problems, love, loss and truck stops.

Zachary Gruman, Christian Wimberly, Sterling Waite, James Lengel

Sterling Waite moved to Macon, Georgia from the Bronx in October 2009. Heavily influenced by new folk groups like Old Crow Medicine Show, the Avett Brothers, and Justin Townes Earle, Sterling formed the Cotton Avenue Hustlers, an old time string band, in the spring of this 2011. The group is named after Cotton Avenue which at one point was a major part of Macon’s economic center. “Hustlers” refers to the band’s frequent street performances in Macon.

Free In The Mountains:
"This album is the result of three sweltering days of recording in my downtown apartment in Macon, Georgia. The air conditioner was far too loud, the ceiling fans created too much air movement, and the street noise was too great with my windows open. So with temperatures nearing triple digits, we turned off the fans and A/C, closed the windows, huddled around two microphones and began to play. Over three sessions Zach, Chris and I recorded the bulk of the album. I then added harmony vocals, banjo, harmonica, and lap steel guitar to most tracks over the following weeks. Some recordings, like "Be With Him", remain true to the original live take. The lyrics to "Up On Blocks" and "Punkin Brown" come from the strange and wonderful mind of Andy Frazier. The Hustlers then brought them to life over a few sessions of pickin' and grinnin'. Andy also contributed lyrics to "Macon Town."

We hope to see you out sometime, put a smile on your face, and get your feet stompin' along. There's only a few things in this world better than a knee slappin' good time, but it wouldn't be proper to go into that here.


Give them a watch:



No comments:

Post a Comment