Thursday, February 20, 2014

Death of Queen Jane - Inside Llewyn Davis

A few weeks back, we were visiting our son at college and ended up seeing Inside Llewyn Davis; the Coen brothers film on a folksinger who really is pretty much a jerk, and yet really tries to take care of a orange tabby cat of his friends that he loses along the way.  (I've heard there are actually three cats playing the part!)  We all liked it and I would highly recommend seeing it.



One of the scenes Davis plays Death of Queen Jane for a promoter in Chicago, and he tells him, that won't sell and casts him off.  The song didn't stick with me then, but it was a pretty song.  A few days later, since my son and I share the same iTunes account, 7 of the songs from the movie showed up in my purchases.  I raised that boy with good tastes.

Then the haunting melody of Death of Queen Jane hit me.  I did find out it was an old Child ballad and the tune was written by a Bothy Band member, Dáithí Sproule.  

What I really liked was hearing all the renditions of it, thanks to iTunes search and the WikiPedia post.

I recorded it instrumentally with only one little flaw, see if you can find it... HA... I moved it up a little so I might add the words some day.  Capo 3 G... Here are the words, chords and the Video, feel free to sing with it.




G                                            C                  G
Queen Jane lay in labor full nine days or more
         C             D            G-Em       G                       C
'Til her women grew so tired, they could no longer there
           G             D      G
They could no longer there
G                                                                   C         G
"Good women, good women, good women as you be
                  C         D        G-Em      G           C
Will you open my right side and find my baby
       G       D     G
And find my baby"
G                                                                              C         G
"Oh no," cried the women, "That's a thing that can never be
              C             D   G-Em       G                           C
We will call on King Henry and hear what he may say
         G         D              G
And hear what he may say"

G                                                         C         G
King Henry was sent for, King Henry did come
               C               D             G-Em          
Saying, "What does ail you, my lady?
         G                            C
Your eyes, they look so dim
           G                D       G
Your eyes, they look so dim"
G                                                                     C         G
"King Henry, King Henry, will you do one thing for me?
                C             D   G-Em       G            C
Will you open my right side and find my baby
          G    D     G
And find my baby"
G                                                                        C         G
"Oh no," cried King Henry, "That's a thing that I can never do
       C             D          G-Em                G                    C
If I lose the flower of England, I shall lose the branch too
            G             D     G
I shall lose the branch too"
G                                                                        C         G
There was fiddling and dancing on the day the babe was born
           C             D          G-Em            G               C
But poor Queen Jane beloved, she lay cold as a stone
        G      D      G
Lay cold as a stone


No comments:

Post a Comment